[LargeFormat] Rome and Stieglitz

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 18 07:24:01 2002

In the end the large format stayed at home for the Rome trip. The one day I
had spare for photography (Saturday) was used reasonably well.

In the morning I trekked across to the Palazzo delle Esposizioni on the Via
Nazionale and had a look at the Stieglitz and The Camera Work Photographers
exhibition. This was supposed to be the best from these early 20th Century
photographers from America and Europe.  On the whole I found the exhibition
disappointing with only the architectural work of the English
photographer  Evans to be really inspiring.

The stock and range of photography books in the adjacent shop was very
refreshing and I ended up spending more time in the shop than the
exhibition!  In conjunction with the Stieglitz show was an exposition on
imagery from the 50's and 60's Rome that included multimedia pieces and
some innovative projection techniques that were combined in many of the
separate areas that made up the show on the ground floor of the Gallery
space. Certainly stylish as were the images - many of which would have been
large format photographs. From film starlets through to vehicles and Ben
Hur - it was all represented in the show.  Definitely worth a visit if you
are in Rome in the next few weeks.

The afternoon was spent with a 35mm camera and B&W film. There was not one
point during my wanderings that I really wanted to have the large format
kit with me. The temp was around 21C and there were too many people milling
around on a Saturday to make the use of a tripod practical. I was off the
main tourist drag but even so it was busy as the weather had just turned to
the first breath of Spring a few days before I arrived and everyone was
making the most of it....

The air trip was fine - things seem to have relaxed a little since I
travelled through Rome last October.  The single item of hand luggage rule
was applied fairly strictly though. Will have to revise my methods for
taking kit over to the US in September. Thinking that maybe a Pelican case
and using checked baggage is the way forwards.

The break from English weather was welcome and being able to sit outside in
the sun eating and drinking was wonderful. What a contrast to the wind and
heavy rain this morning.........