[LargeFormat] Keeping Film Cool

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 10 20:10:41 2002

At 1:30 pm -0800 10/3/02, Brock Nanson wrote:

>Steady on now Clive! ;-)   Next you're going to recite the old story about
>walking to school barefoot through 6 feet of snow, uphill both ways...!  The
>highest recorded temperature anywhere on earth was in Libya in the '20s and
>it was 'only' 136 F!! ... if my trivia is correct!  Or was the 140 degrees
>recorded IN the car?
>
>Sorry, living where I do and seeing temperatures that can range from below 0
>to over 100 F in the same year, I can't resist taking you to task on this
>one !!!  ;-))    And you were out in those temperatures.... Ah, now I
>understand the 'mad dogs and Englishmen' reference!
>
>Brock (where it's just below 0 Celsius outside today and about 22 Celsius in
>my den)

I think I may have seen you - were you the guy with the snow shoes on
walking backwards up the hill?  My feet were freezing......

Brock, you are entirely correct about the temperatures. The
temperature was however high in the Valley of the Gods. Remember that
it is only Englishmen who are out in the hottest part of the day. If
only someone from the trivia site had been there with a thermometer.
There was only me......  Maybe that was the temperature of the
sand/rock or the temp that I recall from the car outside therm but I
can assure you that it felt warmer than an English summer ;-) If I
had an egg with me it would have fried on the rocks.

I did a bit of searching for trivia and found this:

"On an 85 degree day, the temperature inside a car, even with the
windows slightly open, will reach 102 degrees in ten minutes and 130
degrees in thirty minutes."  http://www.wildernet.com/

Death Valley, USA  56.7 C  (134.0 F) on the 10th July, 1913
Lake Havasu City 53.3 C  (128.0 F) on the 29th June, 1994
Laughlin 51.7 C  (125.0 F) on the 29th June, 1994
Valley of the Gods (bloody hot) on June 5th, 2000  :-)

Next time I visit the Valley of the Gods will take a thermometer
along, although it was one of the most inhospitable places I have
ever visited and no roads - rock/sand/track so it would be a bit of a
commitment.

So, to recap on the advice given - I am being too precious with my
trannie film and should leave it in the car without bothering about
keeping it cool.

Now, if only I had the time I would do some comparative tests with
the fridge and oven as storage devices for film from the same
batch....... all this armchair philosophy is all very well....... :-)

Anyway, no one can stop me from trying to keep film cool and
everybody needs a hobby.......