[LargeFormat] Carbon Fibre tripods

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 8 21:46:12 2002

At 6:30 pm -0800 8/3/02, Achal Pashine wrote:
snip
>Related question about CF tripods, I think I asked in my last unanswered
>post, is how exactly CF's light weight and hardness translates to making a
>good tripod? It will not be broken by bullets but can be toppled easily
>because of lightness by wind?
>Haven't used them but will like to know more,

Thanks for that Achal, that's really the interesting question.

I still think that despite the materials used, the important factors
in the design of the ultimate tripod relate to stability in terms of
leg bracing. A carbon fibre tripod will have similar problems to an
alloy tripod if the legs are not braced in relation to each other and
the central column.

One of the best tripods for large format use in terms of stability
and adjustments in my view is still the old Majestic tripod. I am
happy to be pointed to a contemporary tripod that competes with this
old design.

As for wood, I have read all of the comments about vibrations and the
dampening effect of wood. Given that most large format cameras/lenses
do not have large flopping mirrors nor shutters having components
with a lot of inertia, then we are in the realms of reducing
vibration caused by passing Elks and Polar bears travelling to work
at soft drinks factories ;-)