[LargeFormat] Keeping Film Cool (was Re: A new departure)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Mar 8 06:29:21 2002

At 20:20 07/03/02 -0800, Brock Nanson wrote:
>I also used to keep the film refrigerated wherever possible during a trip.
>I've become less anal about that too...  It takes a prolonged high
>temperature to do damage you can see, so unless colour rendition is an
>absolute must for product photography for instance, you won't be able to see
>the difference in the red sunset or the subtle change in the green of the
>trees.

It's amazing the extremes of temperature that film will tolerate - unless
it's something like 4x5 trannie film that is......  The temperatures in the
hire cars I use in the US on my various trips can be so extreme that it is
not possible to get into the car unless you want to get burned by the seats
and challenge your respiratory system!  Strategy is to open the door wide,
insert ignition key from outside the car and fire it up with the AC on
full.  These temperatures are despite having huge reflective sun shades in
the front and rear windows.....

After about five or ten minutes you can use the car - if your trannie film
is not in a cooler bag it'll be roasted!  This probably comes into the
realm of prolonged high temperatures :-)

When backpacking (for me this means moving more than ten feet from the car)
then I only take out with me as many holders as I think will be needed for
the area and leave the rest in the cooler bag together with the exposed and
unexposed film.

Oh yes, drinking by accident the ubiquitous US travelling drink, Mountain
dew,  at the temperature of a hot cup of English tea requires a half hour
recovery period ;-)