[LargeFormat] Tripods - the way forwards? (was Re: Large Format in Rome)

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 08:21:01 2002

I use a Manfrotto 190 as my field tripod. I have not found it
unreasonable using it with my Sinar Alpina - but I tend not to fully
extend the legs to get a little more stability. It is my experience
(Canadian Rockies & Prairie) that I have far more grief from wind than I
do from the tripod.

Regards Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Clive Warren [mailto:Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk]=20
Sent: March 6, 2002 6:04 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: [LargeFormat] Tripods - the way forwards? (was Re: Large Format
in Rome)

At 21:09 05/03/02 -0800, Brock Nanson wrote:
>Thanks Clive,
>
>The age-old debate about what makes a good tripod!  I've used the 190=20
>with my Sinar, but not with the super graphic.  When I get a day this=20
>spring I might try that combination.  I've found, like you say, that=20
>the smaller ones get a little springy and a great deal of attention=20
>must be given to how the shutter is released!  No breeze and the cable=20
>release better not be pulled tight!  I've almost considered getting=20
>some sort of an adapter to allow a bulb release to be used (the lense=20
>end is too big to fit against the lense board - at least in my case) to

>further minimize movement.
>
>I typically use a big Manfrotto (well, the sister company to be exact)=20
>with the air release legs and nice points hidden inside the rubber=20
>feet.  The stabilizing supports between the center post and the legs=20
>are what make a tripod firm I think.  But I don't like to carry this=20
>model any farther than I can throw a large-ish man... they are similar=20
>weights.  So finding a nice alternative is attractive.
>
>I don't know what the excitement about the carbon fibre is.  I find=20
>them to have more bounce to them than the aluminum ones do.  Well,=20
>maybe not bounce, but more of a vibration - they are stiffer after all!

>But at least they are lighter too!
>
>For some reason I think we've had this conversation before...
>
>Brock
snip

Brock,

I share your views about carbon fibre tripods but have never used one,=20
simply played with one in a photo store :-)

I guess that field and travel photography is all about compromises.
There=20
are not many people that will throw a studio Sinar P2, set of lenses and

big Manfrotto tripod in the back of a four by four and take off up a
mountain.

You have to have some kind of masochistic streak to take a whole load of

heavy kit along for a trip that is not entirely intended to be=20
photographic.  The weight and size of a tripod becomes an important=20
variable when you are also carrying paperwork and various computer gear.

The Manfrotto 190 could be a real winner if they bring out a version
with=20
leg bracing. Perhaps they have already!  Will have to have a look around
-=20
unless someone on the list already knows the answer to this question.
As=20
the tripods are made in Italy this could be a good opportunity to travel
on=20
the outward journey to Italy without a tripod and the return with one!

We may well have discussed tripods before but it was probably a previous

lifetime and they didn't have the internet then.....