[LargeFormat] A new departure

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 07:08:31 2002

Dear Achal,

     I have been reconsidering the advice I gave you. There could be a
simpler way to render your images perfect. It was adopted in the 1960's and
70's by a number of teaching photographers and their students and while it
may have gone out of fashion, could still do service.

     Instead of getting the hangers and tanks and minimising the scratches,
why not go the other way and capture the gritty reality of life in 2002 by
using real grit. Keep the tray processing  - and the same developer until it
goes the consistency of mucilage - and scruff the negs around in there to
your heart's content. Print 'em on # 5 multigrade paper or #7 waxed paper
and bend over the print corners until they crease. Then submit them as an
artistic testament that demands our attention.

    Do it dirty enough - do it loud enough - do it often enough  - and there
is a grant in there somewhere. Do it to the bride at your next wedding and
insist that it is cutting edge. In fact if you get a small paring knife you
can cut the edges yourself.

    Lens too sharp? A word to the wise and that word is fingerprints. What
do you think they put coatings on lenses for, if not to collect
fingerprints? No need to be shy, dig in and smear.

    And another thing...Oh, I am sorry, It is time for my medicine and the
attendants get very insistant if you don't take the capsules promptly. I'll
write some more when I regain consciousness.

     Uncle Dick