[LargeFormat] Large Format in Rome, Italy

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 6 07:04:42 2002

Thanks Clive,

The age-old debate about what makes a good tripod!  I've used the 190 with
my Sinar, but not with the super graphic.  When I get a day this spring I
might try that combination.  I've found, like you say, that the smaller ones
get a little springy and a great deal of attention must be given to how the
shutter is released!  No breeze and the cable release better not be pulled
tight!  I've almost considered getting some sort of an adapter to allow a
bulb release to be used (the lense end is too big to fit against the lense
board - at least in my case) to further minimize movement.

I typically use a big Manfrotto (well, the sister company to be exact) with
the air release legs and nice points hidden inside the rubber feet.  The
stabilizing supports between the center post and the legs are what make a
tripod firm I think.  But I don't like to carry this model any farther than
I can throw a large-ish man... they are similar weights.  So finding a nice
alternative is attractive.

I don't know what the excitement about the carbon fibre is.  I find them to
have more bounce to them than the aluminum ones do.  Well, maybe not bounce,
but more of a vibration - they are stiffer after all!  But at least they are
lighter too!

For some reason I think we've had this conversation before...

Brock