[LargeFormat] Help, scratches on negative..

Curt Miller largeformat@f32.net
Mon Mar 4 19:59:32 2002

> Dear Achal,
>
>      Sounds like agitation scratching. Trays I have found are good if you
> can shepherd only one sheet at a time and even then try not to
> let it touch
> the surrfaces too much.
>
>      Could you go down to the local market like I did and find 3 plastic
> food holders - the kind that sit in the refrigerator with a plastic lid. I
> got rectangular ones that allow me to suspend sheet film in them with
> nothing touching it but the liquid? A dip and dunk action to
> agitate and no scratching. Also cheap.

This is good advice.  In fact, if you are careful choosing the size of the
food container, you can find ones that will actually hold two negatives
back-to-back, suspended an inch off the bottom of the container.  You can
then put a lid on the container so developer doesn't slosh all over your wet
bench.  I've used this method in the past with PMK and have gotten gorgeous,
scratch-free negatives.

Curt Miller, M.P.A.
Classic Photography by Miller
B&W Photography - Minox to 8x10