[LargeFormat] Re: Shen Hao Cameras

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 3 14:29:09 2002

I have the HZX 4x5.  It is a nifty little camera, but a little on the heavy
side for a double-extension model (a little over 6 lbs.).  The camera takes
Linhof Technika-style lensboards and has a wide range of moderately priced
accessories (e.g compendium lens shade for US$99).  Rear rise, swing, shift
and axis-tilt.  Forward swing and , base and axis-tilt (no shift though).
Graflock-style back makes for easy use of roll-film holders, Fuji Quickload,
Quickchange etc. For the money it is a great starter camera.  I say "starter"
camera because I think back-packers will eventually pine for something
lighter and the rest of us (cart-luggers, auto-toters, assistant-hire-ers?)
will eventually want more extension.  But if you were deciding among a Speed
Graphic, a Wista or one a lightweight double extension cameras of the
Tachihara/Iston/Rajah variety, the Shen Hao compares very favorably, in my
opinion.  I use it with a 203/7.7 ektar and it makes a handy little kit.

Please e-mail with any specific questions that you have.

Ben Marks
Benmarks@aol.com