[LargeFormat] New Member

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Feb 24 10:12:06 2002

> From: "Scot" <kamandscot@attbi.com>
> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:05:16 -0800
> To: <largeformat@f32.net>
> Subject: [LargeFormat] New Member
>
> Hi,
> I'm to to this list.
> I just recently purchased an older Calumet 4X5 (still waiting for it to get
> here).
>
> I also(on ebay) bought an ooooollld kodak lens, just to have something to
> shoot with when the camera gets here.
>
> The lens says : Bausch-Lomb Kodak Anastigmat F-6.3 No.4 Pat Feb 24 03
> 2632671
> My questions are:
> How can I tell what the focal length is?

You find an old fart with and old catalog to look up a #4.

this lens is a IIb tessar. #4 will cover 3.25x4.25 wide open and 4x5 stopped
down and has a focal length of 5 3/8".  Zeiss had the copyright for the
Tessar name and licensed it to Bausch & Lomb.  When B&L wanted to build
lenses for Kodak they couldn't use the Tessar name so the fell back on the
old name Anastigmat.

in 1915, this lens retailed for 29.50 in barrel. and 46.00 in a compound
shutter.  This was a year after Henry Ford doubled the workers wage to $5.00
a day.