[LargeFormat] New Member

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Sun Feb 24 07:50:11 2002

Dear Scot,

     I can't get a picture of your lens but I don't need one - you can rest
assured you have a good deal. I have an old Bausch and Lomb lens from a
Kodak 3A that belonged to my grandfather. It screwed right out of the old
camera without damage and as the old 3A shot a massive roll of film - 4 x 6
or somesuch - I could be sure that the lens covered the 4 x 5 of my field
camera.

     The new lensboard that was needed is a simple affair of cardboard and
glue. Made up of several layers and painted flat black after it dried. Going
on 5 years service and cost zip.

    The lens I have is non-coated - remember this if you are in a glarey set
of light conditions. Also it might not be colour corrected but with a small
f-stop all is well.

     Watch out when you look at the aperture scale - some of the older Kodak
products are marked in their own numbering system that is not quite the same
as the standard we know. I'll dig up my Kodak book of the period and let you
know the equivalents.

    And as for shutter speeds - all you really need is 1 /25 and B and the
rest is smoke and mirrors. If the subjects insist on moving terrify them
into being still.

    Uncle Dick