[LargeFormat] Jobo Processors and whether we will continue processing

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Sat Feb 9 02:48:00 2002

I attended a demonstration at the local camera club given by a quite
daunting British Army electronics technician/photographer of a Nikon D
digital camera and three softbox flashes, connected by Firewire to a laptop
and a projector showing images on a 6ft high screen. (No wonder we can't
afford many new tanks) A succession of photos were taken of the model, the
lighting being altered every time, and the resultant images immediately
shown lifesize on the screen.  The high quality of the images impressed us
all - also the instant feedback of all the changes. A paying customer coming
to a studio could see the results moments after they were taken and choose
the shots he/she wished to pay for, which would then be printed.

During the demonstration a few enlargements taken previously on the camera
were circulated that had been printed by a hi-tech lab on photographic paper
(i.e. not digitally produced inkjet prints). The 8x6 were very sharp, the
20x16 slightly soft. There was some discussion about different ways to use
PhotoShop to sharpen up the big print.
It seems the Nikon D uses a half-frame size chip and the results are v good.
Shortly Contax are to bring out a full-frame 35mm reflex for $7000.
Doubtless its results will be sharper.  In a year or two we shall be offered
645 profesional cameras and eventually probably 6x7.  The results will be so
good who will need large format cameras except for the movements?  Logically
a digital replacement for the rollfilm adapter will be marketed for the
wealthy. This means an eventual end to Polaroid and no more 'chromes and
processing charges.  What price your sophisticated film technology then?
Gone the way of the dinosaur, daguerreotype and dufaycolor.
I am told that current professional digital backs take a long time to scan
each image. Is this correct?  The Nikon above was as quick to use as any
conventional SLR, except for its very detailed menu options which would take
time to learn.  Strictly for the rich though. Philip