[LargeFormat] Jobo Processors

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Fri Feb 8 12:59:10 2002

Based on my aquarium experience, most algae is fairly sensitive to
high/low PH. Cleaning with an acid/base wash will wipe out your algae, I
expect the Agfa product is based on this model. For someone with Uncle
Dick's DIY spirit look into the cleaning washes used by home beer
brewers.

An additional alternate for Uncle Dick (resident of a tropical region)
would be a short trip to the sea, pick up a Tang or Surgeon fish, and
use them to consume the algae. Now, this option will restrict your
chemistry choices somewhat, but may assist with agitation. If you are
selecting a Surgeon fish keep an eye out for their 'scalpels' in the
tail, and many of these fish grow quite large so care in species
selection is further advised.

regards Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Frantisek Vlcek [mailto:sonnar@centrum.cz]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 1:00 AM
To: rstein
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Jobo Processors

r> PS Keep up the JOBO processor theme troops, this is exactly what I
want to
r> find out about. The algae problem is interesting and I can see where
it
r> might be a problem for me here. I get algae growth in the Nova tanks
as it
r> is.

Dear Uncle Dick,
     isn't there some wicked chemistry with purpose to kill outright all
     manners of algae and unwanted watertank life, sold by Aktien
     Gesellschaft fur Anilin Fabrikation (known nowadays as Agfa), and
     possibly by other manufacturers as well, called a biocide? It
     must be foul stuff indeed, worse than vitriol, but it should
     help! I think this ungodly stuff goes by the name of Algefix (as
     it perhaps "fixes" the algae outright). Needless to say, I would
     not suggest drinking it, no, I definitely would not suggest
     drinking it, or giving it to your dear wife's or neighbor's
     favourite singing bird, cat, dog, or other unpleasant pest.

Best regards,
   Frantisek Vlcek