[LargeFormat] Ebay Madness

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Tue Feb 5 14:14:14 2002

> Yes they have some right, the same thing as an estate agent.

I doubt it - real/estate agents and their transactions are, in most
jurisdiction, covered by local state or provincial statutes. The nearest
ebay would come is regulations for auctioneers...

Also bear in mind that such an after market transaction may well be taking
part in two third party countries - e.g. myself in Canada buying from
someone in Australia. complicated jurisdiction...

And while it may, apparently, be a "common scam", it is only so where there
is the intent to do so. There are most likely as many "innocent"
transactions of this sort going on. The item didn't sell for it's reserve,
and a buyer who really wants the item - have you never hung around after an
auction and seen the after auction deals going on on a handshake? Entirely
common and acceptable in my experience. Illegal - nope. Unethical - hardly.

tim a