[LargeFormat] Lynne Cohen - photographer

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 30 22:20:19 2002

the forward and essays in her new book are very interesting - and what's so
scary is that this stuff is all around us, everyday, and that's part of her
point. Photographing these things that are below our level of everyday
perception. I actually took notice of some building lobbies and offices I go
into, after looking at the book - and jeeze are they ever tacky, bed
lighting, design, colours etc... presumably we take this in subliminally,
which is also depressing!

I find her recent explorations of classrooms, military establishments, spas,
psychology laboratories etc intriguing, weird and a little scary. Most of
the military establishments look more welcoming and human than the spas.

Her day job is getting an awful lot of grants and artists residencies to do
her work and selling her work through galleries (as well as a P/T
professorship)!

Tim A