[LargeFormat] sternfeld, shore, baltz, misrach

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 29 14:31:34 2002

At 8:35 am +0200 10/1/02, Dave Southwood wrote:
>i am a fan of the following american photographers; joel sternfeld, lewis
>baltz, stephen shore, and richard misrach, all of whom made very interesting
>pictures of the american landscape in the 70's and 80's on large-format.
>does anyone share an interest in their work?
>
>while the subject-matter does not fall within the normal ambit of this
>group's discussable material, i reckon they might make interesting grist for
>f32's enthusiastic mill. technically they are superior photographs, and they
>are certainly often contentious in terms of what they portray
>
>and if on occasion the pictures seem empty, its probably because they
>require you to think a little.
>
>richard misrach, desert cantos and the pit
>http://www.mcachicago.org/MCA/exhibit/past/Misrach/
>
>joel sternfeld, american prospects
>http://www.pdn-pix.com/inprint/strangerpassing.html ;
>http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005gZY
>
>stephen
>shore,http://www.mediamente.rai.it/mediamentetv/learning/ed_multimediale/eng
>lish/bibliote/intervis/b/baltz.htm ;
>http://www.masters-of-photography.com/S/shore/shore_falls.html
>
>lewis baltz, you will have to look
>
>here are some links as cues. what do you think?

Hello Dave,

Have had your EMail open on my desktop for some time now, just
waiting for the opportunity to take a break from work here and to
take a look.

Have visited the Richard Misrach site and am very impressed.
Favourite is the Outdoor Dining, Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, 1992.
Was this a set up or was/is there an outdoor diner at the Salt Flats?
Misrach's work is very surreal and the few photographs shown have
made me want to see more. He has a unique style and an eye for the
unusual. The compositions are wonderful - what it would be to wander
through the SW USA with an 8x10 camera - just one of my dreams that I
do try to make reality for a short time every year albeit with a 4x5
camera....

Love the idea of visitors to the exhibition held in 1998 being able
to leaf through vertical stacks of 8x10 contact prints! I wonder if
there are any copies of the catalogue still available - would like to
get hold of one.

Am saving the other three URLs to peruse when I can next grab some time.

Thanks for the pointers and more of the same please!