[LargeFormat] Compur #1 and Copal #1 for G-Claron 305mm f9

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jan 24 05:30:01 2002

At 17:32 23/01/02 -0600, Lee Carmichael wrote:
>I have a 305 G-Claron and I got it as a barrel lens also.  I ripped a funky
>210 out of the copal #1 and just screwed the front element and the back
>element into the proper places and made a lens board and then sent the whole
>thing to Steve Grimes and he cut me a new plate for the f/stops and sent it
>back for $35 dollars plus shipping.  Took longer in shipping than it did to
>do the job.  About 10 days total.  (Me shipping it up and him doing the job
>and then shipping back to me)  I don't use my lens a lot but it is the
>longest lens I have.  But is very sharp and has good contrast.  I did not
>use any shims when mounting the lens to the shutter.
huge snip

Thanks Lee, am looking forward to using the lens. Thanks also to everyone
else for all the information in this thread.

I have measured the Compur #1 shutter and as expected the width is indeed
20mm, and I'm sure that simply screwing in the front and rear lens element
sets will do the job. Does anyone have any thoughts on improving the
performance of the lens at apertures wider than f22 for infinity by
increasing the spacing between the front and rear element sets?  The idea
of spacers/shims is one that has been raised elsewhere to potentially
improve infinity performance at these wider apertures.

I was surprised to find such a shim in a Symmar lens in front of the rear
element set recently.

I think that I would probably have to be convinced by a demonstration that
a compendium bellows will significantly improve the image quality by
reducing light scattered around by the inside of the bellows! If I'm going
to put a hole in my favourite black hat it had better be worthwhile ;-)