[LargeFormat] Uncle Dick, You ARE a pro.

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 18 03:16:04 2002

Dear...Dear me I don't see a signature on your email*,

    You must not fall into the trap of believing everything your friends
tell you. We live in a cynical age, which is located right next door to a
gullible vacant lot and just across from a criminal tendency.

    If people criticize you for photographing others with no clothes on you
can:

1.     Tilt the camera, put a dead fish in the corner, and tint it sepia.
Presto - you have art.

2.    All of the above plus a skull in the corner. Presto you have art for
View Camera Magazine.

3.    Put some clothes on.

    You will never please all the people at once with your pictures - indeed
some won't be satisfied until you stop calling them pictures and start
calling them images. So you must narrow down your target zone. If you want
to get paid you please the art director. If you want to get praised you
pleased the reviewer. If you want to get laid you please the model.

     If you want to keep on enjoying the art of photography you please
yourself. And the model. See note above. Even if you maintain a strictly
platonic relationship, please her anyway. Make her look so good that even
she goes " Oooohh ! " and all her girlfriends hate her for a day - and want
to book a session with you.

    At least the architecture and landscape photographers reduce the number
of demands for satisfaction by one. A bridge isn't going to fall on you if
you make it look fatter....

     Uncle Dick

* No lurking, who are you?