[LargeFormat] lighting tricks

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 15 10:34:00 2002

the 800,000 CANDLEPOWER searchlight, from what I've figured  is going to
be about the same as a #5 flash bulb, The searchlight will be a specular
spot, but will be continuous rather than peak. You might want to look
into something called artificial silk. Most of the motion picture rental
houses know what it is.  Unlike anything else you will find, this will
spread the light in mainly two directions Horz or vert. that way you
aren't losing a lot of light where you don't need it. It works on the
same principle as the start filter---diffraction grating.

for closer work, think about rigging up a quarts halogen head light,
(the replacement bulbs) in a softbox. Just don't use gaffertape to
secure it as the heat will surely cause it to fail and melt a hole in
your nice chimera. It wouldn't be a bad Idea if you put one or two extra
car batteries in parallel with the one in the car. This way if you are
shooting from the car, you've got lots of reserve power. If you need to
shoot interiors or away from the car, you can hoist a spare out and
still have a way to get out of there in a hurry.