[LargeFormat] Survey of Field Cameras (was Wisner and Ebony Field Cameras)

Paul and Paula Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 14 11:37:07 2002

> From: "Paul and Paula Butzi" <butzi@nwlink.com>
> Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:06:49 -0800
>
>  > >
>  > > I am a bit surprised that we have so few Ebony users on the list - it
>  > > might be interesting to do a quick survey at some point to see what
>  > > people are using out in the field.
>  > >

> Linhof Technikardan 45s, with lenses ranging from 90mm to 450mm.
>
> -Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> The two cameras I considered were the TK 45S and The Canham DLC.  The 45S is
> a wonderful camera, but IMHO a bit too difficult to use under extreme
> conditions.
>
> Workmanship is exactly what one would expect from Linhof and all movemts are
> very positive with very accuate lock downs.  For me, packing this camera,
> erecting it and breaking it down for every shot in the field is nothing
> short of monumental - just my opinion!

Ah, well.  It goes to show just how personal the camera choice issue can be.

I was impressed by your comment that you can set up, expose, and pack the
Canham in two minutes.  That's fast.

I've timed myself setting up the TK.  I can take the camera out of the pack,
mount it in the QR clamp on the tripod head, unfold the camera, zero all
movements, and set rough focus in 18 seconds.  Folding is equally quick.
Now, that was in my living room, and I was going as quickly as possible, just
to see how quickly it could be done.  But in practice, even working at a
deliberate pace and not a frenzied one, I'm guessing that it takes me
30 seconds to unfold, zero, and rough focus the camera.

Anyway, I know that some people consider the TK folding/unfolding something
of a chinese puzzle.  In practice, I find it takes just moments.  I've never really
understood the difficulty some people have with unfolding/folding the camera
although I have actually seen people struggle with it.

In contrast, I found the Canham DLC to be something of a puzzle to fold/unfold,
particularly the bit with the way the front standard works.  I'm sure that with a few
tries I'd have it down in no time, but since I already owned the TK the DLC was
a  very nice option that appeared too late for me.

There are other reasons someone might prefer one over the other:
The tk45s has axis tilts, the Canham has base tilts.  This is a religious
issue but if the camera doesn't match your denominational preference
then you might choose the other option.  I prefer axis tilts, probably because
I've used the TK for so long.

The TK has independent locks for all movements.  If I'm recalling correctly,
the on the DLC45, the lock for front swing and front shift is the same; to unlock one
you unlock (and risk moving) both.  My hands get really stiff when even just a bit
cold, and I find the lever locks on the TK easier than knobs, although some people
with large fingers find the levers hard to use.

There's no such thing as a 'best' camera, there's only 'best' for some individual,
and it will vary quite a bit depending on what sort of work you do.

-Paul