[LargeFormat] Re: Survey of Field Cameras

John Moore largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jan 14 10:32:00 2002

Hi there, ho there:

Thought I'd add my cameras to the list. Primary camera
is a Wista 45DXII with a Schneider Angulon 90, a
Schneider 150/265, & a Rodenstock Geronar 210. I'm
very happy with the Wista. It sets up well, has all
the movements I need, and is easy to use. My only
complaint is that I can't mount the Kodak 12"
Commercial... although that might be a blessing in
disguise because of the weight (more on the 12"
later).

I just finished rebuilding a Busch Pressman D and will
use it as a "dragging around" camera. I've only been
able to find 2 boards for it, so it has a 135
Wollensak Raptar & a Kodak 203 Ektar. This will be the
camera I use when I want to hand-hold a 4x5. I
stripped it of all the non-essentials (rangefinder,
viewfinder, etc.) & it's relatively easy to see
through the glass. I'm sure there's a lighter
hand-held 4x5, but it only weighs 4.5 lbs.

At the moment I have 2 Seneca wood fields I'm trying
to refinish: a 5x7 Competitor with a Wollensak
Velostigmat 7-1/2" Focus Series II & an 8x10 Improved
that I want to mount that 12" Kodak on. Seems a shame
to only have a 12" with the Improved, as it has a
bellows draw of 30"! I'll have to keep searching for a
longer lens.

If anyone is looking for a winter project, I've got
another 5x7 hanging around. I think it's a Burke &
James, but I'm not sure. I doubt that I'll get to this
one since the 5x7 Competitor is almost finished.

Be seeing you,
John Moore
Ramona, CA