[LargeFormat] Palm software for large format photography

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 8 10:04:13 2002

At 06:16 08/01/02 -0800, lnphoto wrote:
>Call me a heretic or a Luddyte, but a pad and pencil has no problem  being
>seen in daylight, needs no batteries, will work in cold weather and is
>inexpensive. Supplimentary firm or hardware such as a grease pencil on the
Huge snip

Yes yes yes!  I like this post and it makes me feel better about the old
kit that gets regular use around here. Think maybe this is partly a
reaction to the recent hours spent on the computer doing various photog.
related activities.  I like the idea of the software - particularly Vade
Mecum. However, the notion of hauling around another piece of technology
has always made me resist the implementation of the idea, however useful it
could be.

There is something very refreshing, traditional and back to nature about
heading out with cameras made of wood and brass, shame to blow it all by
using an exposure meter really ;-)

Les has a good point about technology though - especially in the field. The
battery will run out, the auto whatever will jam, the memory will be wiped
and you will break it.....

There are times when DOF tables are useful - but you can print these,
laminate, then stash them in one of those useless flat zip pockets of the
camera bag before heading off into the wilds.  Leaving aside discussions of
acceptable circles of confusion for another thread, here are the DOF tables
for any lens :  http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Services/DOF.htm