[LargeFormat] Tray development

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 4 05:04:00 2002

Just a few comments on sticking film during tray development...

I have not pre-wet the film for tray development but I do not process with
short development times.  Anything under 5 may show uneven development when
doing more than one sheet at a time.

When putting the dry film into the first solution, I drop the film with the
emulsion side up on to the solution with one hand and then push it down just
below the surface of the solution with the other.  If you try to slide the
film in you risk having the edge dig into the emulsion of the film in the
tray already.  I process with the butter side up so to eliminate any
scratches from the tray bottom.

You must keep the film moving ...... make sure you do not push down on the
stack of film in the solution and squish the solution out from between the
films.  You want to keep a layer of solution between the films.  This keeps
the film from sticking.

If you are worried about getting chemicals on your fingers...... tray
developing is not for you!

When you rotate the bottom film to the top of the stack, make sure you drop
it on the surface of the solution and push it down just below the surface
like you did before.  Try to keep the stack of film very loosely piled and do
not push down on the stack.

I once had to make a couple dozen prints from about ten negatives which my
boss had tried to process in a tray all at the same time.  Lets just say he
failed to keep the film covered with fresh developer and ended up with non
uniform negs.  Rather than re-shoot the negs and start over, he just gave
them to me and insisted I dodge all the prints to correct for his
mistake........

Hope this helps,
Fred