[LargeFormat] Duratrans (was: color transparencies)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jan 2 22:00:19 2002

At 12:35 pm -0700 29/12/01, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Well - you can do display transparencies using a Lightjet print from a scan
>of your image - neg or tranny.
>
>BTW - I just had a 24x30 Lightjet print made from a scan of a 4x5 colour
>negative. Did the scan on my Epson 1640 and upscaled with Genuine Fractals.
>As this was a first time test of Lightjet prints for me, I also had a 24x30
>"traditional" print made by a lab I know and use.
>
>Well... first, the Lightjet print came out just as expected from my scan -
>not only that, it was stunning. By comparison, the regular print looked
>disappointing. The Lightjet was sharper, more crisp and better colour. Now,
>I did do work on it in Photoshop, obviously, so I could get it just how I
>wanted. But the Trad print was also a custom print, with dodging and burning
>etc and running a test print. The Lightjet print just blew it away. The
>traditional print just couldn't get there.  And it was cheaper.... I'm sold

Had a chat with peops down at the local pro lab today - picking up
the Fuji chromes exposed during the holiday break :-)

They told me a bit about the LightJet prints that are made onto
transparencies and said that they probably beat the old Duratrans
method. Unfortunately it is a London-based firm that offers the
process, and it's not cheap.

The interesting comments made were on their own in-house methods for
producing display trannies using Epson printers. They offer a service
using the latest Epson printers that use the new 200 year (proof?)
ink. I prefer the idea of a photographic process, however if cost is
a factor then the Ink-Jet display trannies are an attractive option.
Transparency materials have to be watched though as some plastics
produce chlorine when light is passed through for extended
periods....  Some ink jet dyes are claimed to be more stable than
those used in the photographic process.