[LargeFormat] Ground Glass Focusing

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 1 21:38:09 2002

At 5:47 pm -0800 1/1/02, Paul and Paula Butzi wrote:
>  > Whilst visiting relatives over the holidays, took the 4x5 large
>>  format rig into a local cathedral for a few atmospheric architectural
>  > shots using a new to me 90mm Super Angulon. Having set up and paid a
>>  small suggested fee for the privilege of taking photos (use of video
>>  cameras was three times the cost!), started to focus the rather dim
>>  scene on the GG. It was a difficult scene to focus as the light was
>>  so dim.
>
>A good trick to focus in places where the light is really dim - take along
>a laser pointer.  Use the laser to throw a small bright dot on whatever you
>want to focus on, and then focus on the bright dot.  Works a treat.  I have
>a strip of gaffer's tape wrapped around my laser pointer, I use the tape
>both to hold down the 'on' button and to strap the laser to something
>convenient (like the tripod leg) so I can let go of it while I focus.
>
>-Paul

Thanks Paul - that's a good idea. May be a bit difficult to see the
point at the distances I was photographing in the cathedral using a
wide lens, but a good technique to use.

I once tried using a laser pointer through the rangefinder of an old
Graflex - you end up with a similar effect to that of the Kalart
Focus Spot which used an ordinary light source.  Works well but
tricky to mount the laser on the rangefinder. You end up with two
spots of light that when converged indicate correct focus. Glad you
reminded me about this as I was planning to canabalise a small laser
pointer but had forgotten about it - yet another project :-)