[LargeFormat] Re:Processing 4x5 recommendations (answer to Robert Maynard's query)

Joe Hunt largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 1 14:52:08 2002

Robert

You've had responses to your questions already, and I'll just add something
from my own experience.

1. Magnet drums are a cheaper range than cog drums in the Jobo catalogue. My
catalogue (not this year's or last year's) shows lift accessories for both
ranges.
2. Magnet drum, model number is 2521 to hold a 4x5 4-6 sheet reel. There are
longer drums, and an intermediate module, to hold more reels.
3. 4x5 reel, model number is 2509. This is loaded via a sheetfilm loader,
model number 2508, and a film guide, model number 2512. This reel comes with
two clip-on plastic plates (a later modification) which are supposed to
improve flow over the film, especially if loading six sheets. The plates can
be in 4x5" or 9x12cm so you need to specify.

The above kit complete is Sheetfilm Kit 4341.

In addition, you can choose between the motorized, temperature controlled
CPE 2 Processor for the above (magnet attaching) drum, Model no. 4060, or a
Roller Base model no. 1509 (which adjusts for this and other tank
diameters).

I've used the CPE 2 processor and the other items above and got even
results. I don't have the lift fitted and don't think it's really necessary.
I use circa 560ml volume solutions although Jobo claims 270ml is sufficient,
and use the faster of the two rotation speeds. Film develops faster than
with intermittent agitation (less about 15%).

If you want compensating effect with intermittent agitation you might need
to look at a different system. As the small volume of solution doesn't
totally immerse the film, it needs constant rotation.

The film (with the 2521 drum) is covered with 1300ml solution in upright
position, or about 1500ml - 1525ml in horizontal, and you could try
inverting or rolling it intermittently, supported in a water bath such as
square food container 10"x10"x6". I've done this with a low profile piece of
plastic square section rod stuck to one side of the bottom of the container
to support the tail end of the tank when horizontal. Still I felt that
development was uneven on the couple of times I did it (perhaps the flow
pattern on the film is better dealt with by the vigorous action of the
motorized processor).

The complete outfit is very reasonable compared with other L/Fcosts, not to
mention the investment of time and enthusiasm. This point about penny
pinching at the last hurdle has been made in the forum already.

Joe