[LargeFormat] Gundlach 12" Radar in #5 Betax

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 31 07:26:00 2001

>From: "Don Feinberg"
>Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 23:47:57 -0600
>
>I have one...

Hello Don and Ken,

Good to know that you may both be able to help me!

I recently acquired the lens and am hoping to use the shutter with other
lenses in addition to the 12" Radar. The Betax #5 shutter seems to have two
spacers that the lens elements screw into. The rear elements unscrew from
the shutter together with the rear spacer. The front elements unscrew from
the front spacer but the spacer itself seems to be well and truly mated with
the shutter - ie I cannot remove it. I do need to remove the spacer as the
shutter needs a bit of TLC - only a few screws to tighten under the shutter
front plate. The front plate will not pass over the front spacer so that
spacer has to be removed.

On close inspection of the front spacer it seems that there are four holes
that have been filled in on the inner diameter at the top. I cannot imagine
that these would be for holding screws as the front spacer surely is screwed
into the front of the shutter?

Anyway, before applying any real force to the front spacer in an attempt to
unscrew it, does your 12" Radar have a similar spacer and does it unscrew?
Are there four filled in holes in the top of the inner diameter of the
spacer?