[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 30 22:14:01 2001

Stein wrote:

> Dear Friends,

 The question of processing has gone
> into deep tanks and nitrogen bursts. Wonderful stuff, as I have an old Kodak
> processing book from the 50's that illustrates it.

<snip>

Hey Uncle dick!  I'm just getting my nitro set up, well set up. Any
chance I could get xerox copies of that book, or at least the nitro
part?  I'll pay for copying, and shipping and will owe you lunch.

Les

 I am old enough to know that you should not eat and drink in the
> darkroom and I am old enough not to care. I am satisfied when I do not sip
> the stopbath by mistake.

Never had much of a problem with the taste of stop bath, straight hypo
has rather cheap taste in my opinion, rapid fix has a rather nasty back
bite and awful aftertaste. Haven't tried the Photo Formulary's non acid
fix yet.  :-)

>     Uncle Dick
>
>  PS:     I learned something. Last night I tried doubling up the Combiplan
> holder for development of 12 films rather than 6. I like it - the holder is
> stiffer and less likely to sway. I hade to seperate the sheets for a bit of
> fixing after the main fixation to clear the back surface of the film, but
> the whole thing went quite well.

Every time I tried to speed up the process by doubling up I ended up
wasting any time gained by seperating the film to fix the back.

Les