[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations.

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 28 23:36:33 2001

I bought a Unicolor drum processor and motorized base on E-bay a while ago
and tried processing a few sheets of 4x5.  I used a presoak and D-76 1:1 for
the recommended time for a small tank.  The negs came out on the dense side
and I decided to clean and lube my shutter before doing more tests.

I have not had problems with the Yankee tank and used to use it all the time.
 Again, it is important not to use very short development times if you are
going to poor the developer in to the tank through the top after closing it
up.  A presoak will help, but the best way is to have the tank filled and
submerse the film after filling the holder in the darkroom (just prior to
putting the top on and turning on the lights! :-)).  Agitation should be done
every minute and tilting and moving the tank from end to end helps also.

I agree, the reason I do not use the tank is it requires a lot of solution
and the drums should be much better.

I have not used the drum for roll film.  The Nikor SS tanks have always
worked well after you get the hang of loading the reels!  They also provide
for good washing if you use a small pipe to feed the fresh water to the
bottom of the tank with the reels in it.

Enough for now...

Fred