[LargeFormat] Processing 4X5 recommandations.

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri Dec 28 09:22:00 2001

I've done combi and Yankee. I use the combi when I don't have a lot of
film to process and the yankee when I do. Both process are helped if you
can keep from pouring the chemicals down the top, particularly the Combi
as is has such a small hole and it takes a long time to fill. This
causes streaking in all but the most religious of photographers.

I fill the tank, then in the dark load the basket and drop it in the
filled tank, start the timer cover and invert (be sure to do those last
two in the proper order)

I've had streaking problems when I got too agressive with the agitation,
this also caused some shifting of sheets and sticking together. I
actually glued the to sides of the basket to the supports so they would
rattle and drop my film. This means I can't process 2x3 sheet film or
glass plates, but that's of little consequence.

Combi tanks are hard to find used and very expensive new. Yankee tanks
are cheap and plentiful. I managed to aquire 3 tanks and use them like
rubber tanks and hangers total cost was around $35.  load a basket and
run down the line, turning the lights on and off at the proper times.
Never had a streaking problem.

I have since bought a stainless steel sink line and once that's up and
running would love to trade the yankees in on some 2 up 5x7 hangers.

Les