[LargeFormat] Durst 184 Photos

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 27 12:22:04 2001

>From: BLKnWHTwisner@aol.com
>Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:50:55 EST
>
>Hi Gang,
>
>I have been looking for one of the 184 enlargers.   I have a darkroom with
>12 foot ceiling.  Would this be enough ceiling space??   Also, what is the
>price range for these enlargers in good condition??
>Any advice and information will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Lauvone

Well, both Verna and Roger have one of these enlargers. Roger will probably
let you know about the height of his darkroom, however Verna I know has
managed to use her 184 in a darkroom with an 8 feet ceiling height. This can
only be possible by moving the baseboard down - Verna?

The height of the main columns must be around 7 1/2 feet - so an 8ft high
darkroom would just allow you to assemble the beast but probably no raise
the head very much.

Guessing again, but your 12 feet darkroom ceiling would probably be just
about perfect for a 184!

As for price - try asking Verna or Roger. Any old enlarger is worth what
someone is willing to pay for it. There are not many people with the space
for the larger beasts and the market for them is very small. A lot of these
wonderful machines end up on the scrap heap. Sometimes the lenses get saved,
again not many people would have a use for a 300mm flat field lens outside
large format photography......

I missed a 5x7 Omega by about an hour a while ago - it had already been cut
up by the scrap yard :-( Still, the previous owners only had to pay around
$20 to have it taken away. The lens was saved from this particular machine.