[LargeFormat] DeVere 8x10 Enlarger Photos

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Dec 26 10:06:04 2001

The rated home voltage here in the US is 120 that gives us a theoretical
limit of 1800watts on a 15 am circuit. (How they can market, and I can
use an 1875 watt hair dryer on the same circuit with the bathroom lights
is another mystery)

If we jump to a 20 amp circuit, also common in newer houses. The limit
jumps to 2400watts, plenty of room for the enlarger on its own circuit,
just don't try to expose a print and dry your hair at the same time.

All houses, okay 99.9999% of the houses in the US have 230 volts at the
breaker panel, so while it would take some expens to run a 230 line it's
not exceedingly difficult. Now finding a decent timer capable of
handling 2000watts might be!

I helped a friend move some Fotars out of a defunct lab  (they died
because he got a 4 year lease on some expensive Kodak digital equipment
and within 18 months all of his equipment was blown away by newer stuff)

They used a very heavy relay between the timer and the lights, which
were close to 2KW.

LEs