[LargeFormat] Scanning and Printing 8x10 film format

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 17 15:56:09 2001

At 6:37 pm +0000 17/12/01, philip Lambert wrote:
>Thanks a lot, Clive. What printers are good ?(A4 will suffice) I am told th=
>Canon S800 is one of the best but it costs =A3300.  Is this what I should
>spend or should I choose a cheaper one and aim to replace it in a couple of
>years given the way technology advances?  Philip

Along with most consumer durables, people have their favourites. The
Epson printers have consistently been top in various comparative
tests in terms of print quality and value for money. Have a quick
search on the web for comparative tests. Try http://www.cnet.com or
more specifically
http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1063.html?tag=3Dst.co.1016.dir.1063

With the A4 printers there is no point buying the top of the range
Epson model as the lesser consumer model beats it in terms of print
quality! I have lost track a bit with the model numbers but it may be
the 860 you are looking for. Epson Stylus Color 860 (USB/Parallel)
PC, Mac, Ink-jet, 1440 x 720 dpi (b&w), 1440 dpi x 720 dpi (color),
9.5 Pages/min. It's a lot cheaper than the Canon S800!

As with any computer kit - buy the best spec. you can afford.
Technology will always improve, but at least this way you have
something you'll not want to replace in a month!

My printer is now several years old - an Epson Stylus 740 - I have no
intention of changing it! The Epson 860 is the latest version of my
old printer.

The Canon S800 also does well in the tests.

Check for cost of consumables - ie ink cartridges and if possible try
some printers out before buying.