[LargeFormat] Part 2 Hold ON!! Graflok ground glass

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Dec 15 11:14:01 2001

At 9:55 am -0600 15/12/01, Ken Hough wrote:
>Clive,
>I have made lots of ground glass. When I use grinding compound I place a
>1/2 inch plate glass on the bench and a slurry of roughing powder and water.
>Then I put the piece to be ground on top and start a figure 8 motion.
>I'll work it till the appropriate grind is done. But the acid is available in
>different grades. Coarse to fine. So no more hand grinding!

Now you're going to have to explain how that acid grading works!
Have no problems with using different grades of paste to make coarse
and fine glass. I use an old mirror as the base plate and have
achieved reasonable results.

The idea of acid etching is appealing and I wonder if the acid packs
are available in the UK from our local friendly stained glass
shops.... How would you translate coarse to fine acid to someone who
makes pretty glass windows?