[LargeFormat] will a darkslide skim across a pond from the shore?

Dave Southwood largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 2 16:07:47 2001

------=_NextPart_000_010E_01C17B85.94D5F040

1)i have a basic knowledge of the physics which govern the passage of =
light through air, coatings and then into glass. what i would like to =
know, please, is what formula determines the maximum angle of incidence =
which light must have to the surface of the lens before it reflects, and =
does not penetrate and refract?

or in other words, by way of hypothesis: suppose a stone-skimmer were, =
with an identical action each time, skimming the same stone at the same =
spot on a surface of water while climbing a ladder. on reaching a =
certain rung his stone(having been flung) would penetrate the surface of =
the pond, the angle of incidence being too great for the tension of the =
surface to bear up under the force of the stone.

i know that the curvature of the lens affects things. how is this =
accomodated in the calculation of the aforementioned angle?

phew!

2)i have old linhof darkslides which are home to inordinate amounts of =
dust particles. would it be safe to wash the critters gently to try and =
make dust, which i think is coming from the fabric hinges, settle? =
either that or i am going to see if my technika skims off cape point, =
the situation is dire my friends. i have even employed my lungs and an =
empty ballpen case as a bellows-hoover, much to the delight of my =
assistant

3)i am a fine-artist preparing for a large solo exhibition called =
'nothing in the particular' which draws a bit on the way an american LF =
user (hi, my name is stephen and ive been using LF since the tenth =
grade. all my friends said it wasnt very sharp......) called stephen =
shore saw the american landscape in the 70's. anyone, anyone, anyone =
else a fan?=20

thanks

dave southwood
flat 1, coronation mansions
42 warren street
tamboerskloof
cape town
8001
south africa

+27 82 8543363 mobile
+27 21 4247992 home

------=_NextPart_000_010E_01C17B85.94D5F040

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>1)i have a&nbsp;basic knowledge of the physics which =
govern=20
the passage of light through air, coatings and then into glass. what i =
would=20
like to know, please, is what formula determines the maximum angle of =
incidence=20
which light must have to the surface of the lens before it reflects, and =
does=20
not penetrate and refract?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>or in other words, by way of hypothesis: suppose a=20
stone-skimmer were, with an identical action each time, skimming the =
same stone=20
at the same spot on a surface of water while climbing a ladder. on =
reaching a=20
certain rung his stone(having been flung) would penetrate the surface of =
the=20
pond, the angle of incidence being too great for the tension of the =
surface to=20
bear up under the force of the stone.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>i know that the curvature of the lens affects =
things. how is=20
this accomodated in the calculation of the aforementioned =
angle?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>phew!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>2)i have old linhof darkslides which are home to =
inordinate=20
amounts of dust particles. would it be safe to wash the critters gently =
to try=20
and make dust, which i think is coming from the fabric hinges, settle? =
either=20
that or i am going to see if my technika skims off cape point, the =
situation is=20
dire my friends. i have even employed my lungs and an empty ballpen case =
as a=20
bellows-hoover, much to the delight of my assistant</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>3)i am a fine-artist preparing for a large solo =
exhibition=20
called 'nothing in the particular' which draws a bit on the way an =
american LF=20
user (hi, my name is stephen and ive been using LF since the tenth =
grade. all my=20
friends said it wasnt very sharp......) called stephen shore saw the =
american=20
landscape in the 70's. anyone, anyone, anyone else a fan? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>dave southwood<BR>flat 1, coronation mansions<BR>42 =
warren=20
street<BR>tamboerskloof<BR>cape town<BR>8001<BR>south =
africa</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>+27 82 8543363 mobile<BR>+27 21 4247992=20
home<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_010E_01C17B85.94D5F040--