[LargeFormat] multi coating

Ken Hough largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 2 12:02:02 2001

Multi coating is a VERY simple prospect. Search "vacuum coaters"
"MF2 coating""metalic optical coating"  etc. There are many in the USA that
will do it.
The problem is the cost. and volume you want to send. I recement lenses as
a business. I wanted to offer coating better than I could do myself with my
1947 B+L vacuum coater. I found a company in NJ that was reasonable and
did Multi coating. He would do just 6 elements as a minimum run. My cost
was 40.00 total. A good deal considering that the machine costs a couple of
hundred thousand dollars and takes an hour or so. Then he got greedy.
After 3 years he raised his prices and the minimum number of elements went
to 50 at a cost of 40.00 each surface. Thats 4000.00 an order. He went out
of business.
Ken