[LargeFormat] Scanning 4x5 Negatives

robo largeformat@f32.net
Sat Nov 24 23:30:25 2001

Hi
I'm using a canon d2400uf and while I have nothing here to compare it with
it gives results I'm pleased with. Full 48 bit colour at 2400 resolution on a
6 x 4.5 slide gives a tiff file of 123 Meg and a 5 x 4 B&W negative at
16 bit grayscale is 200 meg at the same resolution.
It also has scratch and spot removal options built into the software.
Comes with carriers for  35mm, 120 and 5 x 4 and is in the same price
bracket. Worth a look. What swayed me was an article in a recent
Shutterbug mag.
One negative is that it requires a reasonable spec for the PC.
At the moment I am running it on an Athlon 1000 with 256 meg of
ram running windows 200 pro and it won't do 5 x 4 48 bit colour
transparencies directly imported to photoshop,
tho' I sure a bit of tweaking would solve the problem,
as would more memory I suspect. (I'm a newbie in the world of large format
so haven't produced a colour transparency worth scanning yet ;-) )
Hope this helps
John