[LargeFormat] mounting prints

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Nov 22 11:28:11 2001

------=_NextPart_000_0113_01C1732F.BF44D160

To be honest, I don't separate the print from the back mat.  However, =
all the board is acid-free stock... I don't believe in cheaping out on =
the mat board.  I don't know if the mat is an issue when hung loosely =
(not glued) to the back mat as far as archival characteristics go.  I =
haven't seen any problems, but my prints aren't 50 years old yet!!  I =
will attempt to ask this question of a professional Ilfochrome printer I =
know... he seems to be knowledgeable with this medium at least... and I =
would think it is one of the most sensitive.

I have had a few prints that needed to be 're-hung' because the hinge =
wasn't quite 'right'.  The result was a ripple in the print that =
reflected light differently than the rest of the print.  That was the =
only way to notice.

Brock

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Southwood=20
  To: largeformat@f32.net=20
  Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 11:06 PM
  Subject: [LargeFormat] mounting prints

  thanks for the advice on mounting. the method which involves hanging =
the print(thanks to the 'good doctor' brock) appeals to me the most for =
its minimalism. i believe fuji crystal archive paper is not =
temperamental, its brow doesnt crease easily, so hanging it could be the =
way forward. the matte which has been mentioned, i presume, is a porous, =
breathable lineny material which separates the back of the print from a =
firmer board?? does anyone have ideas on materials with industrial =
applications which might serve the purpose of its specifically designed =
cousin? there still being a dearth of customised materials in SA. is =
this an a accurate description of a cross-section of a sensibly framed =
picture from the aspect of the viewer:

  glass; gap of air; print; thin slivers of archival tape at top of =
print; matte; board   ???

  make any sense?

  does anyone know if my 15cm voigtlander apo lanthar has nuclear =
capabilities?

  dave southwood
  flat 1, coronation mansions
  42 warren street
  tamboerskloof
  cape town
  8001
  south africa

  +27 82 8543363 mobile
  +27 21 4247992 home

------=_NextPart_000_0113_01C1732F.BF44D160

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>To be honest, I don't separate the print from the =
back=20
mat.&nbsp; However, all the board is acid-free stock... I don't believe =
in=20
cheaping out on the mat board.&nbsp; I don't know if the mat is an issue =
when=20
hung loosely (not glued) to the back mat as far as archival =
characteristics=20
go.&nbsp; I haven't seen any problems, but my prints aren't 50 years old =

yet!!&nbsp; I will attempt to ask this question of a professional =
Ilfochrome=20
printer I know... he seems to be knowledgeable with this medium at =
least... and=20
I would think it is one of the most sensitive.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have had a few prints that needed to be 're-hung' =
because=20
the hinge wasn't quite 'right'.&nbsp; The result was a ripple in the =
print that=20
reflected light differently than the rest of the print.&nbsp; That was =
the only=20
way to notice.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Brock</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:lava@mweb.co.za" title=3Dlava@mweb.co.za>Dave =
Southwood</A>=20
  </DIV>
href=3D"mailto:largeformat@f32.net"=20
  title=3Dlargeformat@f32.net>largeformat@f32.net</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, November 21, =
2001 11:06=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [LargeFormat] mounting =

  prints</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>thanks for the advice on mounting. the method =
which involves=20
  hanging the print(thanks to the 'good doctor' brock) appeals to me the =
most=20
  for its minimalism. i believe fuji crystal archive paper is not =
temperamental,=20
  its brow doesnt crease easily, so hanging it could be the way forward. =
the=20
  matte which has been mentioned, i presume, is a porous, breathable =
lineny=20
  material which separates the back of the print from a firmer board?? =
does=20
  anyone have ideas on materials with industrial applications which =
might serve=20
  the purpose of its specifically designed cousin? there still being a =
dearth of=20
  customised materials in SA. is this an a accurate description of a=20
  cross-section of a sensibly framed picture from the aspect of the=20
  viewer:</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>glass; gap of air; print; thin slivers of archival =
tape at=20
  top of print; matte; board&nbsp;&nbsp; ???</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>make any sense?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>does anyone know if my 15cm voigtlander apo =
lanthar has=20
  nuclear capabilities?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>dave southwood<BR>flat 1, coronation =
mansions<BR>42 warren=20
  street<BR>tamboerskloof<BR>cape town<BR>8001<BR>south =
africa</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2>+27 82 8543363 mobile<BR>+27 21 4247992=20
home<BR></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0113_01C1732F.BF44D160--