[LargeFormat] dry mounting

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 21 15:03:28 2001

>From: "Dave Southwood" <lava@mweb.co.za>
>i am investigating ways to mount fuji archival paper. what would the best
>substrate be on which to mount the colour prints, and which adhesive would
>offer a quality, non-acidic, archival effect. in SA the range of specific
>archival glues is very limited. i once heard of mounting photographs to
>board with wax, any responses. if a print lies against glass can it effect
>longevity? any advice on archival mounting welcome. thanks
>
>dave southwood
>flat 1, coronation mansions
>42 warren street
>tamboerskloof
>cape town
>8001
>south africa
>
>+27 82 8543363 mobile
>+27 21 4247992 home

Greetings Dave,

Here's how I would do it, but I'm sure other will offer different options.
First, make sure that you do not use buffered boards.  Buffered boards are
fine and recommended for B&W, but will cause a color print to fade.  You
could dry mount the print, using a low temperature, archival tissue, but
most people don't consider dry mounting good for color materials.  If you're
not careful of the temperature, you could damage the print.

Depending on the size of the print, I would mount it with corners, that
would be hidden by an overmat, or archival linen tape.  The linen tape
should be fixed to the back of the print in two locations, or along the the
entire top edge, extending above the top of the print.  The peice that
extends above the top of the print is then fixed to the backing board with
more tape.  The overmat conceals all of the tape.  For prints up to 11x14
the corners should work well, but bigger than that usually requires more
support.

I hope that helps.  Good luck.

Regards, Pete