[LargeFormat] Backpack Recommendation

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 14 14:16:56 2001

Didn't have room for artillery, but didn't eat to my normal back-country
gourmet standard for a few days. :-)

I wouldn't suggest a "regular" backpack like the Contour IV if the
primary purpose if moving photographic gear. I have that pack for
backpacking and live with the top-load and relative narrowness when I
choose to take my Calumet with me. I built a "box" for my Calumet out of
an old closed-cell foam pad, and crank the body to one end of the rail.
Slides right in.

If I was looking for a more dedicated camera backpack I would look at
two paths - something like the Photo Trekker or other camera focused
backpack, or one of the 'convertible' backpacks that have far more
flexible opening.

However, get one that fits, and fits right. The hip belt is there to
carry almost all the load.

regards Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Brock Nanson [mailto:brock@nanson.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 12:26 AM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Backpack Recommendation

The catch is whether you plan to carry only photographic gear and
perhaps
some lunch, or equipment to spend a few days in the bush (as Dave
suggests... but with only 1-2 grams of food, I'm guessing he's packing
artillery to ensure he doesn't go hungry ;-)  .... Dave, you know you
can
get arrested for hunting in national parks don't you?)

I have two Lowe Pro photo packs and find both to be better suited for
shorter people.  The Photo Trekker AW is just too short to let the hip
belt
take some of the weight.  The SuperTrekker is better, but still not
ideal
(I'm 6-1).  I have a Contour IV, similar to Dave's, but haven't used it
for
this purpose.  I'm not thrilled about the prospect of top loading, and
the
bottom access is just not where I'd want the gear.  It's also a very
narrow
pack.  However, as you are talking Graphic and not monorail, space isn't
quite the issue.  I think you'd do fine with the Photo Trekker.  Get the
dimensions off the Lowe site and sketch it to scale with your gear.
I've
carried a Sinar F in one without too much trouble.

Brock