[LargeFormat] Korona Field Cameras (was: LF'ing in Paris)

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sun Nov 11 06:50:00 2001

At 10:36 pm +0000 10/11/01, philip Lambert wrote:
>Clive,  Just what is it about a field 4x5 Korona that is so compact?  I
>never heard of one before..I had a Tachihara that folded very small but
>after I added a few lenses, meter and a 120 back or DDS plus a tripod it
>seemed quite a weight.   A lightweight camera that's usable in the hand is a
>2x3 Speed Graphic but it has rising front really only in landscape mode; in
>portrait format there is minimal rise.  Mine accepted lenses 65mm to 180mm
>in small shutters but not my 203mm Ektar..It had a wire frame viewfinder,
>apart from the ground glass.  My present Linhof 69 seems to weigh twice as
>much, but it does more. Philip
>>  Because of this I have started using medium format and 35mm for my
>>  foreign trips.  I now plan to kit out an old field 4x5 Korona that is
>>  very compact with a couple of lenses. This will all fit in one bag
>>  and the tripod will travel in the baggage hold for future trips.
>>
>  >         Clive

Well, compared to a 2x3 Speed Graphic the Korona 4x5 is of course
bigger and heavier. However, you have back swings, tilts and a
"removable turning" back - portrait or landscape format and all the
usual movements on the front. Most of the movements are geared.
Compared to my usual field 4x5 beast, the MPP 4x5 Technical Camera it
is certainly lighter.

So in terms of a 4x5 wooden field camera it is relatively compact and
versatile with the usual folding bed. I guess I would find it hard to
leave certain lenses and accessories behind if I had the MPP with me.
Working with the Korona (made by the Gundlach company) encourages
more concentration on the photo and less on equipment - which is
probably a good thing.

I have a variety of lenses to use with the camera - including the
original Turner Reich 4x5 convertible in a Betax shutter. This seems
to perform quite well unconverted - have not tried it with single
groups of elements however  assume that it would need a yellow or
orange filter to help correct it.

Found this on the web at http://www.fiberq.com/cam/gundlach/view.htm
Years Manufactured: c. 1909-1930
Construction: front and back focus; double swing; reversing by
removable back; three-piece lensboard; gears on top of base tracks
Materials: walnut-stained cherry body, cherry base, black leatherette
bellows (leather optional); nickeled hardware
Sizes Offered: 4x5; 5x7; 6.5x8.5;8x10; 7x11; 11x14 (3.5x5.5 back available)

As for the Linhof 69 - I have lusted after one of these for some
time, just too expensive! I have a lot of fun with an old 2x3
Miniature Speed Graphic with a Graflok back that we have discussed
before.

If I can grab the time will post an image or two of the Korona in the
f32 Forum.