[LargeFormat] re: 2 distinct messages-changing bags and shooting in Paris

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Sat Nov 10 12:36:00 2001

--part1_6a.1633aa72.291ebf4f_boundary

Re: Changing bags in the extreme --  Some years ago after building my first
large format panoramic camera (10x20" film)  which needs film changed after
each shot in a darkroom or dark toilet or whatever, I decided to make the
rear portion of my Plymouth mini-van a big changing bag to facilitate taking
more than one photo while in downtown Chicago.  I had a sailmaker make  it
with two layers of black cotton, big zipper on the end for me to get inside.
It hung from loops sewn into the top, creating a darkroom about five foot
long, four feet high and four feet wide.  Sure was dark in there and I had
lots of room. The problem was, even parked in shade on a moderate day of 75F,
the inside of the bag heated up so fast with body heat that by the time I had
finished changing film, usually about 2 minutes, I was sweating like a you
know what.  I finally tore the whole thing out and threw it away because the
sweat was dripping off my head onto the film before I could finish.
I suppose an elaborate system of air vents hooked up to my air conditioning
unit would have solved the problem.. but I didn't want to alter the van that
much since I also used it for everything else...carrying lumber, lots of
camera equipment, etc., so I simply decided it was not worth it.  I started
using more dark bathrooms in old highrise builidngs.

As to shooting in Paris.  Technically, if your a pro shooting for money, your
supposed to get a permit from the local political jurisdiction,
but unless your really loaded with equipment no one bothers you.
Except if you step or set-up on  "grass".   In many of Paris park areas
lightfooting it on the green stuff is absolutely taboo.  Most of the gendarme
who patrol those areas are not the same as your regular military style police
who take care of thugs and terrorists.
They are like park police in many cities of the USA.  That is their job and
sometimes they have to show you whose in charge !  Not unlike some  airport
security "inspectors" - last week I took my wife to O'Hare airport for a trip
to London.  I told her to get the film she was carrying (in clear cans) hand
inspected.   Absolutely not said the big inspector and into the deadly x-ray
hopper it went.
Next time I go to Paris to shoot my 10x20 pan camera I think I will send the
film by fed-X  or boat to avoid those mentally challenged inspectors...
tom Yanul

--part1_6a.1633aa72.291ebf4f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Century Gothic" LANG="0">Re: Changing bags in the extreme -- &nbsp;Some years ago after building my first large format panoramic camera (10x20" film) &nbsp;which needs film changed after each shot in a darkroom or dark toilet or whatever, I decided to make the rear portion of my Plymouth mini-van a big changing bag to facilitate taking more than one photo while in downtown Chicago. &nbsp;I had a sailmaker make &nbsp;it with two layers of black cotton, big zipper on the end for me to get inside. It hung from loops sewn into the top, creating a darkroom about five foot long, four feet high and four feet wide. &nbsp;Sure was dark in there and I had lots of room. The problem was, even parked in shade on a moderate day of 75F, the inside of the bag heated up so fast with body heat that by the time I had finished changing film, usually about 2 minutes, I was sweating like a you know what. &nbsp;I finally tore the whole thing out and threw it away because the sweat was dripping off my head onto the film before I could finish.
<BR>I suppose an elaborate system of air vents hooked up to my air conditioning unit would have solved the problem.. but I didn't want to alter the van that much since I also used it for everything else...carrying lumber, lots of camera equipment, etc., so I simply decided it was not worth it. &nbsp;I started using more dark bathrooms in old highrise builidngs.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>As to shooting in Paris. &nbsp;Technically, if your a pro shooting for money, your supposed to get a permit from the local political jurisdiction,
<BR>but unless your really loaded with equipment no one bothers you.
<BR>Except if you step or set-up on &nbsp;"grass". &nbsp;&nbsp;In many of Paris park areas lightfooting it on the green stuff is absolutely taboo. &nbsp;Most of the gendarme who patrol those areas are not the same as your regular military style police who take care of thugs and terrorists.
<BR>They are like park police in many cities of the USA. &nbsp;That is their job and sometimes they have to show you whose in charge ! &nbsp;Not unlike some &nbsp;airport security "inspectors" - last week I took my wife to O'Hare airport for a trip to London. &nbsp;I told her to get the film she was carrying (in clear cans) hand inspected. &nbsp;&nbsp;Absolutely not said the big inspector and into the deadly x-ray hopper it went.
<BR>Next time I go to Paris to shoot my 10x20 pan camera I think I will send the film by fed-X &nbsp;or boat to avoid those mentally challenged inspectors...
<BR>tom Yanul
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>