[LargeFormat] LF'ing in Paris

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Nov 10 11:40:03 2001

At 7:29 am -0800 9/11/01, David wrote:
>I am planning a trip to Paris over the Xmas/new year
>holidays and was wondering if anyone had any
>suggestions or warnings about taking photographs in
>Paris.  I think I remember someone saying that you
>needed a special permit to set up a tripod in Paris.
>
>I am not a professional and would probably take most
>of my pictures either early morning or at sundown.
>Are there time restrictions.
>
>Any suggestions or referrals on the web would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>David  (SF)

David,

Am a regular visitor to Paris both for work and pleasure - although
the largest camera format I have taken along for the Paris trips is
6cm x 7cm. Having said that I always carry a tripod because I tend to
indulge in infrared photography and the film I use dictates use of a
tripod.

I have never been asked to show a permit for use of a tripod,
although there are some places where I believe that this is required
and some places where tripods are banned, such as the Musee D'Orse.
In general, inside museums and churches tripods are not welcome; this
is understandable where there lots of people floating about with
their eyes on their surroundings rather than where they are walking!

So, Paris is no different to many other capital cities - although
there are also some parks where tripods can be a problem.

Your main concern should be about carrying your gear. I have been
travelling throughout Europe since September 11th and security is now
very high. It is no longer possible to carry more than one piece of
hand luggage on board an aircraft.  This may not be a problem for
you, however when I go "large format" I like to carry everything with
me including the tripod. Lost or delayed luggage is just a bit of a
pain - arriving in a foreign country to find that your camera gear is
on another continent can ruin your planned photographic trip......

Because of this I have started using medium format and 35mm for my
foreign trips.  I now plan to kit out an old field 4x5 Korona that is
very compact with a couple of lenses. This will all fit in one bag
and the tripod will travel in the baggage hold for future trips.

If you are based in the UK and intend using the Channel Tunnel then
this will not be a problem for you......

Hope this helps,