Re[6]: [LargeFormat] MF + movements

Frantisek Vlcek largeformat@f32.net
Sun Sep 2 15:12:01 2001

pL> The old 65mm covers 6x9 but movements give soft corners to the image (if
pL> that matters to you) and if you multiply 65 by 0.43 you get the 35mm
pL> equivalent of 28mm.which is quite wide.  Super Angulons cost double round
pL> here; I thought it an improvement but Super Angulons are twice the size as
pL> well. Philip

Hi Philip,
1) I enlarge B&W myself mostly up to 30x40cm (11x15.5") which is pretty small for medium format, but I plan to upgrade to 50x60cm (20x24") when I get to building the vertical slots developing "processor" (ala Nova). So at these magnifications (5x and 8.5x), I guess it would be still acceptably sharp for me even with movements.
 Super-Ang. are more like triple expensive here than plain angulongs :( but that's what Ebay's for :)
Twice the size - you mean it propably won't fit in the small lensboard?

2) 6x9 holders - I thought a good and cheap source of 6x9 would be Mamiya holders for Press and Super 23 until I learned that they are not "international" or "graflok" type, they fit only Mamiya. What is the common price of older, cheaper 6x9 holders on Ebay or elsewhere, please?

3) I have a 9/450 Apo-Tessar barrel lens which I got just before a
great deal on used and cheap 13x18cm (5x7") field with holders was
lost. What do you think - is is possible to mount a 450mm tube with
the lens on end and lensboard on other end onto the 2x3 Graphic (while
of course supporting the lens end of tube with either monopod or
another tripod) - would it hold well? The Apo-Tessar should be a real
good lens so I hoped I would use it.

Thanks again!
       Frantisek
Good light!