Re[2]: [LargeFormat] MF + movements

philip Lambert largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 20 02:14:23 2001

When I was interested in Speed Graphic I found a lot of information
originating in the US by searching on the internet and if you do this you
will get almost all the history and models. Incidentally a focal plane
shutter model is used on Time (i.e. open) when you fit a lens having a
shutter.... provided the focal plane shutter works on time and say 1/10 and
1/100 reliably you could use lenses with no shutters or enlarger lenses as
well. I mean you don't need the highest speeds as you can stop the lens down
to f22 or use a neutral density filter or a polariser to absorb strong
sunlight. In theory you can use f64 and cover/uncover the lens with your hat
so who needs a shutter anyway?  It's worth experimenting if you can borrow
lenses.Philip
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frantisek Vlcek" <ffranta@volny.cz>
To: "philip Lambert" <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 10:00 PM
Subject: Re[2]: [LargeFormat] MF + movements

Hello Philip,
Sunday, August 19, 2001, 7:40:33 PM, you wrote:

pL> Dear Frantisek
pL> A 2x3 Speed Graphic is cheap, small and light compared with most field
[...]
pL> rising, drop, tilt and limited cross front.  No back movements. I
haven't
pL> found a version with a working focal plane shutter but modest lenses in

The Focal plane shutter issue made me think about Century Graphic 2x3
or 2 1/4 ... - it would allow shorter lenses and propably the shutter
in the 2x3 Speed would be irrepairable or only with major effort
anyway, so I might just as well get a Century, or no? Was there any
other difference?  There were a few different models.

pL> £200 here, the price of a Linhof 67(120) back. Don't bother about 6x12
pL> transparencies at this stage unless you know you can sell pictures....
in
pL> the UK such 5x4 rollfilm backs cost a great deal.  Philip

    I was thinking about it as a mechanist I know build a 6x12 back
    himself, for sale but he later kept it himself, and from what I
    know about him it was even more accurate (dimensions - film plane
    distance to GG?) than several originals that he measured :) But I
    don't know yet the cost of it, though.

Thanks a lot!
       Frantisek