[LargeFormat] UK lens/shutter repairers

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 27 06:19:34 2001

Clive Warren wrote|:

"Probably worth getting the shutter CLA'd - probably a lot of dust
mixed up with that old oil!

The thread on the front softness control is very fine so be careful with it
- probably best to allow the repairer to dismantle and clean the thing
completely. Sounds as if some paint may have reached the threads."

I've managed to twist the softness control to the 0 setting, and don't
intend to move it again until I've had it looked at. I *really* don't want
it seizing on the soft setting. Looking at it again last night the front
ring isn't round, so I think it's had a knock and that's why it's stiff.

How complex are the shutters internally? I've repaired clocks and some quite
complex machanical devices in the past (I did an engineering degree decades
ago).

A Google web search produced some interesting stuff about this lens,
specifically a comment - here
http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=004tsm - that it
was quite low contrast and that "for landscapes, plan on developing a lot of
film at N+2". In that context, what kind of film/dev/speed/soup combination
works well with this lens?

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate it. I'd also like to
publicly thank Les Newcomber for his advice here and in mail and for helping
me identify and date the Eastman 2D.

--
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"The more opinions you have, the less you see." -- Wim Wenders.