[LargeFormat] Numbering film holders

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jul 19 12:42:04 2001

My lastest contract has me limbering up my Crown Graphic. Now normally I
shoot a dozen or so shots my self for my self and have no need for
copious notes.

That all changed with a phone call yesterday.

The plan is to shoot 20-50 shots on Friday. Each shot will be numbered
and described on a notebook (paper not electronic). Then I number each
print so the description matches the subject in the photo.

With roll film this wasn't a real problem since I had a guarranteed
sequential order for the whole roll, but with sheet film it's a
different story, and with 40-50 holders (!) getting the 50-100 sheets of
film back and matched to the descriptions can get out of hand very quickly

I noticed my Graphic Riteways have a slight indent in the near the
corners of the flap. Enough so that I could glue a lith neg of a number
there and it would show up. I could also drill holes in the rails as
I've done before, how to number isn't the problem, it's what to number.

Do I number each SIDE consecutively or do I number each HOLDER and add
an A and B suffix?

Interior shots will get two frames exposed. Outside gets only one. (I
figure if I can't get a good exposure in one shot on a nice day outside,
then I should turn in my loupe and buy a point and shoot.)

I can see advantages to both. numbering sides for outdoor work will
coincide with the photo number, but can confuse the secretary once we
get inside where my numbers would double with each photo.

Les