[LargeFormat] 300mm

Lee Carmichael largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jul 18 20:24:07 2001

It is my understanding that the REPRO Claron is a vastly different lens than
a G-Claron.  Can anyone comment on the differences?

lee
----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <Clive.Warren@megacycle.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>; <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 5:50 AM
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] 300mm

At 08:24 16/07/01 +0100, philip Lambert wrote:
>I haven't taken my "new" mahogany 10x8 into the field yet but   I expect to
>use my Repro Claron 305mm f9, one of a batch on sale at Mr Cad who charged
>me just over £200 for a nice one with a serviced shutter. I think this has
>more elements than the Apo Ronar but the aperture is the same so presumably
>it is better in some way.At this minute the sun is shining on South :London
snip

Thanks for the pointer Philip - will give Mr CAD a call - is the Claron in
a Copal #1 shutter? The Claron is a fine lens - probably needs to be
stopped down a bit to get the best out of it at infinity.  Would be good to
hear how you rate the lens after using it on your 8x10 - am guessing that
you will be using B/W film and contact printing.  The results will probably
be stunning :-)

Using the Repro Claron an 4x5 may be a little more demanding due to the
enlarging process.

At this minute it is raining (again) in Bristol - at least the wind has
dropped off so that you don't need a ship anchor chained to the tripod to
stop it being blown away......