[LargeFormat] Dinosaur Provincial Park

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jun 18 11:23:17 2001

At 15:48 07/06/01 -0400, Hornford, Dave wrote:
>The dinosaur excavation is driven by two things - climate and the academic
>schedule. I don't know which is most important.
>
>The other climatic fundamental is exposed bone will not likely survive the
>winter, the bones are brittle and very susceptible to frost/freezing damage.
>The badlands are naturally eroding at 1 cm/year. Most of the erosion is in
>the spring, either from the snow run-off, or more likely the spring
>thundershowers (the area can get 30% of its annual precipitation in an
>hour). So the palaeontologists will do more searching in the spring and then
>dig in the summer. Incomplete digs are protected over winter with temporary
>shelters. (Yes I took one of the tours). Most of the bones are taken out
>with lots of the surrounding rock still attached - interestingly the British
>Army sometimes helps out with helicopters (a short distance away is the CF
>Base Suffield which is home to a British Army training facility).
>
>Excavation is similar to archaeology, sometimes you dig with a shovel and
>sometimes with a dental pick. After the bones are off-site at best 1/5 the
>labour needed to free them from the surrounding rock and do what
>palaeontologist do is done.
>
>Finally, most of the palaeontologists are academics, and are tied to the
>fall-spring class schedule.
>
>I may joke about the climate, but its reasonable - My - Sept should be in
>the 20s C (http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/climate/normals/ALTAM007.HTM)
>
>Dave

Thanks for the info. on the dinosaur  dig.  The climate beats the UK in
September!  Guess the limitations are more associated with academic
schedules as you suggest.  Did you take your LF camera along for the tour
and have you posted the photos anywhere on the web?

  The BBC here in the UK have recently been showing a tv series called
"The   Dinosaur Hunt.  This has been taking place on the Isle of White - a
few miles off the South coast of England.  They have found quite a few bits
and pieces of the beasts.  Did not watch the whole series but was surprised
that they found so much.....