[LargeFormat] Re: Lens choices for day trips

Bob Younger largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 29 14:00:33 2001

I am of the belief that you carry what lenses you need based upon focal
length, max aperture, and coverage for anticipated required movements;
rather than upon what they weigh or how physically large they are.

Secondarily, for those of us who have yet to make infinite amounts of money
in photography, you buy your lenses carefully based upon the anticipated
requirements, often buying lenses that have capabilities that exceed the
requirements 3/4 of the time. When I've wanted or needed that extra inch or
two of movement though, or wanted to shoot at 1/30th vice 1/15th because of
the breeze in the leaves......

However, going out for the day, my pack with three lenses, Deardorff 8x10,
water, a few protein bars, a cigar, and four or five holders will tip the
scales at 55-60lbs. I carry my tripod in my hand; it weighs 16lbs with its
Ries head. I've worked with photographers who may barely weigh twice that
sum, so recognize that compromises in weight, as for me with cost, are
necessary.

We ARE large-format photographers, and our cameras provide us with
astounding capabilities given we use lenses sufficient to take advantage of
our creative visions.

Bob

R.E. Younger
ryounger@home.com